What is IBA?
Indianola Basketball Association is a governing body made up of a volunteer board who organize, administer, and coordinate the opportunity for Indianola’s youth to participate in a competitive basketball environment. This includes organizing player assessments, forming teams for those not already on a team, scheduling practice time, managing insurance and financial resources, and general point of contact communication for all Indianola youth basketball teams.
Is IBA different than “The League”?
IBA hosts a league every season. Those players who are identified through assessments to participate at a competitive level will be placed on a team that will then be entered into The League. We encourage all players to go through assessments at least once, but preformed or existing Indianola teams may enter as a team into The League without going through player assessments. The League is made up of Indianola teams as well as other area school teams who enter as a team. The League plays on Sunday(s) for 5 weeks (2 games per day) and then concludes with a 1-day tournament.
When are The League game dates for 2023?
October 29, November 5, November 12, November 19, December 3. December 10th is a single elimination tournament that is included with registration into The League.
Do I sign up as an individual or as a team?
Indianola residents may sign up as an individual if they are new to IBA or want to be assessed for placement on a team. Going through the assessment does not guarantee placement on a team. Formed teams may also enter The League.
Is IBA only for Indianola residents?
IBA is intended to be for youth players that live in the Indianola community.
Do I have to play in The League to get practice time?
We encourage all of our teams to participate in The League. However, IBA understands that there are times when this is not feasible. If a team comprised of all Indianola players chooses to not participate in The League but wants practice time, this may be coordinated through the Commissioner of their division. A $100 fee is required for practice time for those not participating in The League to cover insurance requirements. All basketball practice times for Indianola youth are to be coordinated through IBA and their coaches and should not contact the schools directly.
When is registration for Indianola residents to participate in assessments?
Registration opens on July 31, 2023, and closes on September 2, 2023. During registration, each player will be charged a non-refundable assessment fee. Late registration is from September 3, 2023, through September 9, 2023, and an increased fee is required. Registration closes at 5 pm on September 9, 2023. Day of assessment registration will not be allowed. All registration must be done through the IBA website.
When are the assessments and is there a make-up date?
- 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade (boys and girls) will be assessed on Sunday; September 10th at the Blake Fieldhouse located at Indianola Middle School (Courts 1-4).
- 5th Grade (boys and girls) 5 pm – 6 pm
- 6th Grade (boys and girls) 6:15 pm – 7:15 pm
- 7th and 8th grade (boys and girls) 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- 3rd and 4th grade (boys and girls) will be assessed on Sunday, September 17th at the Blake Fieldhouse located at Indianola Middle School (Courts 1-4).
- 3rd Grade (boys and girls) 5:00 pm – 6:15 pm
- 4th Grade (boys and girls) 6:30 pm – 7:45 pm
- Make-up date for assessments (all ages for boys and girls) will be Thursday, September 14th at the Blake Field House at the Indianola Middle School (Boys on Court 3 and Girls on Court 4). All efforts should be made to make the primary assessment. Make-up should only be used if there is an unavoidable conflict.
- 3rd and 4th grade (boys and girls) 5 – 6 pm
- 5th and 6th grade (boys and girls) 6 – 7 pm
- 7th and 8th grade (boys and girls) 7 – 8 pm
How much do assessments cost?
A non-refundable assessment fee of $10 will be charged for all players signing up as individuals during the registration window of July 31, 2023 – September 2, 2023. A late assessment fee of $30 will be charged for all players who sign up during the late registration window of September 3, 2023- September 9, 2023. Registration closes at 5 pm on September 9, 2023. No day of assessment registrations will be accepted.
Does every player who goes through assessments get placed on a team?
- IBA is committed to placing all interested 3rd and 4th grade players on a team or in a practice environment, depending on skill level, as long as we have enough volunteer coaches to facilitate. Most years all players in 3rd and 4th grade are placed on a team. Not all teams will compete in The League depending on skill level, but IBA will work with those teams to find developmental competition to play against.
- Players in 5th-8th grade who compete at a tournament-ready, competitive skill level will be placed on a team as long as enough volunteers are available to coach. Players in 5th-8th grade who are identified as having a recreational skill level will not be placed on a team. There are other basketball opportunities for recreational level play and the commissioners of each league can help parents connect with those opportunities as needed.
If my player is placed on a team, how much does it cost?
For practice, uniform, and entry into The League:
- 3rd and 4th grade (per player and in addition to assessment fee):
- 1. Uniform (reversible jersey only, player to provide black shorts)
- 2. League entry
- 3. Practice time
- 4. Total $100 per player
- 5th-8th grade (per player and in addition to assessment fee):
- 1. Uniform (Custom reversible jersey and shorts)
- 2. League entry
- 3. Practice time
- 4. Total $165 per player
- If you are interested and your coach is willing, you may participate in additional area tournaments that may or may not require travel. All fees for these tournaments are in addition to these fees and will be collected and coordinated by your coach. If you are interested in additional tournaments, be sure to note this during registration.
Who are the coaches?
IBA relies on volunteers with basketball and coaching experience to lead the teams.
IBA will be hosting a coaching clinic on Sunday, September 17th at 5 pm for any new or existing coaches who would like to see some skills, drills, and basic offensive sets to help with their team and player development. All are welcome and there is no cost for this.
Can my player choose to “play up” with a different age group?
IBA encourages all players to play with their age group. If during the assessments a player’s skill level is identified as being capable of playing with an older age group, the commissioner will discuss this with the parents of that player and the best decision for player development will dictate player placement.
Can my player choose to “play down” with a different age group?
No, all players must play at or above their grade level.
Can my player be on multiple rosters?
No, a player may only participate on one roster of League play.
Does IBA provide uniforms for the players?
- Uniforms will be ordered through IBA which will be included in the total fees.
- 3rd and 4th grade will be provided a reversible jersey. The player is to provide black shorts.
- 5th-8th grade will be provided a custom reversible jersey and shorts.
- The quality of these uniforms is such that 2 years of play should be the goal for each player to help spread the cost across multiple seasons. Please order accordingly. IBA is committed to having the same uniform for multiple years going forward.
What are the season dates for practice and The League?
- Practice dates are TBD and will be finalized and communicated by your coach, but they will start around the week of October 16th.
- League dates are October 29, November 5, November 12, November 19, and December 3. December 10th is a single elimination tournament that is included with registration into The League.
Are there other tournament opportunities for my player to participate in addition to The League games and how is this coordinated?
- Yes, as determined by your coach. Additional fees will apply depending on the number of tournaments entered. Those fees will be communicated, collected, and coordinated by your coach.
- Note your interest in additional tournaments during registration.